This blog post is part of our “Ask Andy” series in which we publish Andy’s plain-spoken, straight shooting answers to common or uniquely interesting (eLearning) questions. If you have a question, you can always fill out this form and ask Andy too.
We recently acquired a small company, and we plan to integrate them into our full IT solution mid-2020. We are looking at interim LMS solutions that fulfill the following requirements:
- Able to run SCORM files (video and narrative)
- Tracks employees that completed the training
- Allows employees to stop the training and come back to complete (this is a nice to have)
- Allows for quizzes during the training, to test knowledge (this is a nice to have)
- Pushes training out to set list of Users
- Requires minimal cost and implementation, we’re ideally looking for a web-based solution so that we don’t have to connect it to our existing systems
What would you suggest?
Looking for an LMS
Hey Looking for an LMS,
Thank you for reaching out. I’m the right person to help.
Your story is a familiar one for us. We work with a lot of organizations just like yours that need an interim LMS solution, and although our SCORM Cloud solution is not technically an LMS, it will support all of your requirements and nice to haves in the following ways:
- Able to run SCORM files (video and narrative) – SCORM Cloud will be able to play all of your existing SCORM packages, while also providing support for AICC, xAPI and cmi5 compliant eLearning content.
- Tracks employees that completed the training – SCORM Cloud will collect all of your course data and present it in a user-friendly way via Cloud’s in-application reporting tool. You can also export all of your data to CSV.
- Allows employees to stop the training and come back to complete (this is a nice to have) – SCORM Cloud can help with this. When a user stops training, your SCORM course (or package) will set a bookmark. When they come back to the course in SCORM Cloud, SCORM Cloud will place them in the right spot of the course using this bookmark.
- Allows for quizzes during the training, to test knowledge (this is a nice to have) – For this to work, you’ll want to integrate all quizzes into the SCORM course you create and upload into SCORM Cloud. If you do so, SCORM Cloud will track the results of the quiz and make this data available via its reporting tool.
- Pushes training out to set list of Users – SCORM Cloud’s web application offers two ways to push training out to your users: Public Invitations and Private Invitations. If you’d like to learn more about the intricacies of Invitations, check out this great Knowledge Base article.
- Minimal cost and implementation, ideally web-based to avoid connecting to our systems – SCORM Cloud is a web-based, SaaS solution, which means you can be up and running in minutes. Our monthly plans start at $75/month, so SCORM Cloud can be a very cost effective way to deliver and track your SCORM conformant eLearning packages.
Hopefully, the information I’ve shared above gives you a good sense of what you can expect from SCORM Cloud. If you’d like an example of how this interim LMS solution will work, check out our EA case study. They were up and running with SCORM Cloud immediately and used Cloud as an interim LMS for six months, finding it easy to deliver and track training for their 1,500 learners.
Given your situation, I believe SCORM Cloud makes a great interim LMS. If you have any questions about SCORM Cloud or the right solution for your company in general, let’s talk. I’m happy to help.