Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Are you a super sleuth? Do you enjoy hunting bugs and solving problems? Then we have a role for you.
We’re looking for someone to help us do even more quality assurance. You’ll work alongside our software development team, testing the products we create. You would join our QA engineering team, testing applications built around learning standards.
Rustici Software makes eLearning standards based software. Our software is responsible for launching and tracking standards based online learning for millions of learners. You would join a team that develops software that integrates into other software products around the world. We are a remote/in-office hybrid company located in Franklin, TN. While we give preference to local candidates, we are open to qualified remote candidates residing in the United States.
Starting out, your focus will be on testing our flagship product, Rustici Engine.
- SQL (MySQL, Postgres, SQL Server)
What will you be doing?
The primary goals for this role are:
- Preventing software releases with regressions
- Verifying bug fixes and new features
- Providing direct feedback to the development team for test failures
You should feel comfortable performing the following:
- Learning the inner-workings of an unfamiliar application
- Creating test plans/cases, writing test scripts, and performing them regularly
- Running, analyzing, and contributing to automated test suites
- Testing API calls
- Creating tests based off of software technical specifications or learning standards definitions
We have a pretty good idea about skills and experience we think you need:
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle
- Experience with testing web applications
- Able to create/update/maintain manual test cases
- Experience with test case management tools such as TestRail
- Familiar with bug tracking tools and creating bug reports
- Familiar with Docker
- Experience troubleshooting and reproducing issues and defects
- As well as some skills and experience that would be a huge bonus:
- Experience testing web service APIs and using API testing tools such as Postman
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g. Selenium, WebdriverIO, Cypress, Playwright, Mocha, Jest, etc.)
- Familiar with git and are able to checkout, push, and merge
It is important to us to point out that if you don’t have these skills yet, that doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you love software testing and can show your potential to excel, we definitely want to hear from you.
How to apply
Check out “An Open Letter” from our Managing Director, Tammy Rutherford. It says a lot about what you need to know before emailing us about this job opening. You might also want to read up on our answers to the Joel Test to see how we approach software development.
Make sure that what we get from you makes it apparent that you are the right person and that this job is important to you, and that you want to work here, not just somewhere.
You will want to spend some time on our website, learn how we think, what we do, and why we have been nameda Best Place to Work by Nashville Business Journal for 13 years. Get to know us if you want us to get to know you.
Each time we hire, we wait until we find exactly the right person. If that’s you, we really hope you’ll apply. Don’t forget to include more about why you’re the right person to join our team in your cover letter and your answer to our QA test.