We are looking for a DevSecOps Engineer to join our team here at Rustici Software. Come work alongside our software development team, deploying the applications we create in our AWS hosted infrastructure. We are a remote/in-office hybrid company located in Franklin, TN. While we give preference to local candidates, we are open to qualified remote candidates residing in the United States.
Our DevSecOps engineers are responsible for keeping services running smoothly. The DevSecOps team owns the low-level infrastructure and monitoring of all services. They share ownership of the build and deployment pipeline for our products. The team also provides advice in product and application development.
As a result, your day-to-day work will often vary. You can expect to:
- Tune monitoring of application, systems, or AWS metrics
- Identify and build in-application metrics
- Design and implement infrastructure cost-savings measures
- Assist with debugging of production issues and try to prevent their reoccurrence
- Act as an internal resource for development teams; Provide a specific focus on improving reliability and performance
- Improve our internal automation, especially through the use of “Infrastructure as Code” tools
- Implement new features in our infrastructure control plane
- Participate in an on-call rotation for production-impacting issues
We’re not hung up on a particular amount or type of DevSecOps experience, but we are adamant about a particular level of skill. We develop web applications, so familiarity with the typical web stack is critical. You will need a mix of strong software development skills and systems administration.
On the operations side, we are looking for broad knowledge of:
- DNS, CDNs, load balancers, web servers, app servers, and databases
- Networking concepts like the basics of TCP/UDP, RFC 1918 subnets, and NAT
- Very comfortable with the Linux CLI
On the development side, we want a candidate with broad knowledge of:
- Some experience with “backend” tech such as Java , C#, Go, or Python
Finally, we expect some familiarity with modern operations tooling. Specifically, we’d like some experience with “Infrastructure as Code” tools like Terraform or CloudFormation, Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
At Rustici Software, we use a variety of technologies. Specific experience with the following tools is not required by any means. We are looking for someone with broad domain knowledge. However, we value transparency, so this is what our world looks like today.
- Git for our version control, hosted on GitHub
- AWS for hosting, actively using EC2, RDS, CloudFront, Elasticache, Route53, ELBs, Lambda
- Jenkins Pipelines and GitHub Actions for test and build orchestration
- Python utilities for infrastructure glue and automation
- ELK for log aggregation; CloudWatch, Prometheus, Grafana, and BetterUpTime for monitoring and paging
- MySQL databases
- HashiCorp’s Vault for secret storage
- Terraform and CloudFormation for infrastructure, depending on the product
- Ansible for resource provisioning with Packer for AMI building
- Moving towards Kubernetes, EKS, and Helm for deployment models
About our work
Every day, millions of people around the world access valuable learning and training content powered by Rustici Software’s products. If you’ve ever taken an online course, there’s a good chance our software was running behind the scenes. We specialize in helping software vendors and organizations solve problems specific to implementing eLearning standards, such as SCORM, xAPI and cmi5. Since 2002, we’ve been sharing our expertise with our customers and the industry by providing resources for creating, delivering and distributing eLearning content. We are proud to be known as the “SCORM folks,” “eLearning nerds” and most recently, catapulting the learning industry into newer standards.
How we’re different
Rustici Software isn’t your average workplace. There’s a reason why we have been named Best Place to Work by Nashville Business Journal for 14 years.
Over the last 20 years, we’ve created a unique environment where people want to work and look forward to Monday. We strive not to be static. We desperately want to grow, change, and do our work better year over year. This is your chance to work with a group of people that want you to be opinionated about the work we do and how we do it. You won’t always win the arguments we participate in, but you’ll know that we deeply value your input and that your coworkers are as passionate as you.
We also take great care of the people that work here, and our benefits are unrivaled.
- Flexible work environment: Rustici Software offers the best of all worlds when it comes to where you work. Remote from your home office, an office in Franklin, TN if you prefer, or a mix of both. We care more about the work that you do than where you do that work.
- Unlimited vacation time
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- HSA and FSA plans
- Company paid life insurance
- 401k/Retirement vesting and matching on day one
- Performance-based bonuses
- Office perks: Concierge services, gym equipment, yoga room and stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
How to apply
- Tell us why you want to work with us.
- Explain what you can bring to our team.
- Include your resume, portfolio, or whatever best represents your experience.
- Submit your answer to our developer test.
Each time we hire, we wait until we find exactly the right person. If that’s you, we really hope you’ll apply. Make sure that what we get from you makes it apparent that you are the right person and that this job is important to you, and that you want to work here, not just somewhere.
Check out “An Open Letter” from our Managing Director, Tammy Rutherford. It says a lot about what you need to know before emailing us about this job opening. You might also want to read up on our answers to the Joel Test to see how we approach software development.
You will also want to spend some time on our website, learn how we think, what we do, and why we have been named a Best Place to Work by Nashville Business Journal for 13 years now. Get to know us if you want us to get to know you.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.